MERCK STANDS UNITED ON
WORLD CANCER DAY

Cancer is one of the greatest health challenges of our time.

While there have been significant breakthroughs for the prevention and treatment of certain types of cancer, there remains a need for new innovative approaches and work to enable greater access to help change the future of this disease.

This World Cancer Day and every day, Merck stands united with patients, doctors, researchers, governments, regulators, advocates and families across the globe who have been impacted by cancer. Just like them, our company envisions a world without cancer. That’s why Merck is proud to partner with the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) and join the global conversation on World Cancer Day to raise awareness and encourage action.

Around the world, our team members are joining the conversation to share their personal “I Am and I Will” messages to help create a world without cancer in the future.

Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the U.S. after heart disease.

More than 1.7 million new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in the U.S. in 2019.

Approximately 600,000 deaths from cancer are expected to occur in the U.S. in 2019.

Males in the U.S. have approximately a 40 percent risk of developing cancer during their lifetime and a 22 percent chance of dying from cancer; females have approximately a 38 percent risk of cancer and a 19 percent chance of dying from the disease.

The death rate from cancer in the U.S. has declined steadily over the past 25 years. As of 2016, the cancer death rate for men and women combined had fallen 27 percent from its peak in 1991.

We encourage everyone to join the World Cancer Day conversation. With millions of individuals joining together, we can drive awareness and encourage action to create a better future for all.